Senior VFX Artist ROVIO / Helsinki Metropolitan Area
PUBLISHED: June 9, 2021
Rovio’s Battle Studio is all about making games that don’t shy away from mixing RPG and action elements with strategy. As such, the team is working on creating the most approachable 4X game on the market, which is currently in soft launch and will be soon in global launch.
Set up in 2016, the studio has a flat hierarchy, a high level of transparency and open communication. The team is always trying to find ways to improve its projects, tools, communication, and themselves, while keeping the atmosphere friendly, inclusive, respectful and super supportive. With flexible hours, the teams are respectful of each other’s time, as well as collectively learning from both mistakes and successes as they grow in numbers and experience.
In a nutshell, the team’s mission is to increase the accessibility of the strategy genre by making such games more appealing to a broader audience.
Our Art team in Battle Studio is composed of talented and experienced artists with the goal of creating a fresh and exciting visual experience to our games. We are looking for a new team member with technical and Visual FX skills to help us deliver a great game experience and bring our projects to a new level. We expect that you will help in this mission by creating stunning and eye catching visual effects and providing creative and innovative solutions to technical art restrictions.
- Conceptualize, design, and create stunning in-game visual effects (modeling, texturing, animating, lighting, shaders, etc) by using available tools in a real-time engine
- Work collaboratively with game designers and engineers to understand and interpret gameplay requirements to communicate gameplay mechanics to the player within the constraints of the engine
- Work with the art team to define a consistent style for VFX and to ensure the quality of the assets for all aspects of the project
- Ensure that VFX assets are built efficiently and within the given deadlines
- Prepare assets for export to the game engine (Unity)
- Provide creative and innovative solutions to technical art problems and/or restrictions
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Working experience with Photoshop, 3D applications (Maya or 3D Studio Max) and particle editors, as well as After Effects or similar programs for pre-visualizing VFX
- Understanding of FX workflows and tools with the ability to modify and improve them
- Ability to create original texture sprites and sprite sheets to create particle effects
- Ability to keep content relevant to the current projects’ art style and work within those limitations
- Self-motivated, excellent communications skills, and an excellent team-player attitude
- A minimum of 2 year creating real-time special VFX for video games
- Working experience with Unity
- Experience with traditional 2D animated VFX
- Experience or knowledge of repository tools, for example Git, SVN
- Ability to write scripts and actions to create VFX
We’d love if you have some of these:
- Experience with programming
- Pixel animation
- Traditional drawing, painting or sculpting skills
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager. Before diving deeper into your skills, we want to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Rovio and the specifics of the role.
- Second round: You will have an exercise to complete in your own time so that we can understand your skills better.
- Final round: You will be invited to meet the team lead and team member(s). Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions and where we can help you develop.
Send us your application with portfolio today! We look forward to hearing from you!