Senior Narrative Designer ROVIO / Helsinki Metropolitan Area
PUBLISHED: April 1, 2021
Rovio’s Puzzle Studio is the home of the passionate team behind Angry Birds Match, Angry Birds Friends, the newly launched Angry Birds Dream Blast, and other unreleased games currently in production. The studio strives to create puzzle games that are instantly fun, but that can also turn into years-long hobbies. Puzzle Studio is also exploring new ways to use narrative and character worlds in casual mobile games, with the aim of creating a true emotional connection that stays with players even when they’re not playing.
We are looking for a Senior Narrative Designer to join our Puzzle Studio.
Senior Narrative Designer defines the in-game narrative and leads its development in pursuit of providing our players with exciting experiences in rich, believable, and memorable virtual worlds. In collaboration with a passionate team of professionals, the person crafts, arranges and conveys cohesive interactive storytelling in appealing and accessible ways.
- Work hands-on on a game story in the Puzzle studio
- Review, give feedback and contribute creatively to the game’s overall design
- Participate in defining themes and tones that support the game’s creative vision
- Collaborate with the game team to brainstorm creative ways of exploring and presenting powerful story and narrative through a game’s core mechanics
- Help to establish the tone of the game’s world and propose creative ways of effectively exposing this world to the players
- Review and provide feedback documents on all creative elements
- Find and steer external writers
- Identify problems with the narrative and work on creative solutions together with development teams
- Lead the narrative strategy and ensure its constant communication to the development teams
- Collaborate with different teams (level designers, game designers, artists, animators, audio designers, etc.) to ensure the correct integration of all narrative elements
- Coach other experts on topics of narrative design, providing insight and narrative expertise to sister discipline leads, such as production, art, game design and audio
- Identify, develop and communicate best practices for everything related to storytelling in games
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Extensive knowledge of interactive storytelling, plot, and narrative structure in F2P mobile games and digital media in general
- Proven ability to build believable and immersive game worlds
- Released successful F2P game(s) as a lead writer, narrative design lead or narrative director
- Ability to craft sharp, clear dialogue for diverse target audiences
- Strong ability to communicate ideas through verbal, written and visual means
- Ability to switch between different writing styles and tones
- Ability to work independently and as a part of the design team
- Keen interest in sharing learnings across Rovio
We’d love if you have some of these:
- Experience in steering externals
- Experience in leading a creative team
- Strong knowledge and experience with system/game design
- Experience using Unity and other tools for prototyping the game experience
Don’t keep us waiting but send your application already today!