Senior Game Designer (Match Studio)
PUBLISHED: November 13, 2017
Welcome to Rovio!
We are looking for an experienced and passionate Senior Game Designer to join our successful Match Studio in Espoo, Finland.
Rovio’s Match Studio is the established and passionate team behind the successful Angry Birds Pop, Angry Birds Blastand newly launched and soaring Angry Birds Match.
Our vision is to reinvent the puzzle category by creating games where time-to-fun is measured in seconds and a deep, immersive meta-game and dynamic social gameplay enable year long hobbies to emerge. We are a team first organization where you’ll find openness, candid feedback and a shared ambition to succeed at the very core of the studio’s DNA. True to the Nordic culture we pride ourselves in real life/work balance and strongly support personal growth and hunger for learning.
This is a senior role in the studio, and while we are more than happy to help diverse candidates make the step up, you will need a mixture of experience, aptitude and passion in four key areas.
You have vision. We are on a mission to redefine casual puzzle games. We need someone who is able to create game concepts that combine casual approachability of puzzle games with depth and social dynamics of mid-core games. You are fluent in a number of casual and mid-core social-game systems and mechanics and have the critical thinking to know when to improvise when to come up with something new or when to use existing practices. From insights into our audience you are able to craft deep emotional experiences in games so that players think about them even when they are not playing.
You are intellectually curious. You absorb new knowledge every day, and see new challenges as learning opportunities. You share our passion to take the casual social gaming to next level by providing deeper gameplay experiences, and for that you want to understand human psychology and social dynamics to really tick players’ intrinsic social motivations and needs.
You are to the point. Your verbal and written communications are crisp and clear; your best work comes from collaboration and teamwork, and you know that quality results come from sharing your work and perspective with others throughout the design process. We expect you to have strong opinions, but always to engage in fruitful discussions about them.
You continuously improve yourself and people around you. When you speak, you speak persuasively, and people want to listen; you frequently help co-workers focus on the right things, mentor others in design, and push products in order to avoid mistakes and find opportunities. We want someone who wants to develop and grow as a big part of a great, diverse team and help create a fantastic culture that makes amazing mobile F2P games.
You’ll fit in our flock if you want to:
- Create a shared vision of re-inventing casual puzzle games
- Achieve both creative and commercial success in mobile F2P
- Create and lead the execution of game concepts that meet the technical, creative and commercial aims of the team
- Continuously learn and keep improving
You’ll need these skills:
- Previous commercial success with mobile F2P games
- Experience in creating strong game concepts and leading their execution
- Strong social game design as well as excellent system and economy design skills
- Skills and passion to lead, but also understand when to play back-line and follow, willingness to have an open mind and adapt and iterate designs
- A genuine interest in F2P and mobile games, as well as the wider world of gaming
- Proven ability to seek or demonstrate clear decision making
We’d love you to have these feathers in your cap:
- 7+ yrs commercial experience working on games for mobile platforms, preferably both from operating a live game as well as developing a game from scratch
- Experience working on games in Unity
- Open to feedback and eager to learn and apply new skills
- Strong interest and belief in data-driven approach to support & validate intuition
- A breadth and depth of aesthetic and entertainment interests outside of games
- Equal parts ambitious and humble
If you feel you have what it takes to join our ambitious and exciting team, apply now! Interviewing starts as soon as we find interesting candidates.
Looking forward to hearing from you!