Senior Game Designer, Economy
PUBLISHED: February 17, 2020
NEXT GAMES, Helsinki
Next Games is proud to have a history of collaboration with some of the world’s biggest media properties, such as AMC’s The Walking Dead and Netflix’s Stranger Things. The fans of these properties are men and women, boys and girls of all ages; dedicated core gamers and people with only a little history playing games. At Next Games, we seek to delight and entertain players of all kinds. We do this by creating games that expand the worlds of the most beloved media and entertainment properties of our day.
The Economy-focused Senior Game Designer is a pivotal role in the creation and operation of free-to-play live-operated mobile games. Without the insight into play patterns and analysis of game data that they bring, choosing the right features for any game’s audience would be less precise and more likely to miss the mark. These “Data Whisperers” are key to recognizing the effects of changes to a game’s rewards and incentives, and help us perfect these experiences for our fans.
This is what you’ll get to work on:
- Plan and implement game economies, systems, and player progression, and use live game metrics and user experience testing to tune these features
- Work with experienced colleagues on gameplay, user experience, and other disciplines to improve the performance of the game along several key performance indicators
- Develop and maintain design documentation detailing gameplay loops, expected player behaviors, in-game purchase offers, sessioning and retention features, etc.
- Work with the Executive Producer and key stakeholders in the product team to define and drive the development of the game: audience analysis, market evaluation, and backlog prioritization
- Plan, guide development, and apply tools to collect and process game data to inform future game changes
- Planning systems and tools for execution of live operations for ongoing game content, such as in-game tournaments, community challenges, rotating seasonal events, and more
Your experience and skills include:
- You have worked on multiple completed game projects, and shipped one or more free-to-play titles in a Design role.
- Comfortable modelling systems in spreadsheets, R, Tableau, or other analytical tools
- Understanding of player motivations and audience profiles and ability to predict and model their behavior
- Proven track record of using play data to improve the performance of a live game
- Excellent analytical, facilitation, and English communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well in an agile, iterative manner within the game team
- Experience in designing cooperative or competitive social game mechanics in a mobile game is a big plus
Our core values – Caring, Curiosity, and Courage – guide us in our efforts, so these should be close to your heart as well. We aim high here at Next Games and will ask you to do the same. In exchange, you’ll be part of a team that is great to work with, who is dedicated and passionate about what we do – we believe passion is contagious. Giving each Nextgamer the tools and means to succeed in their job is our priority.
We believe the fruits of our labor should be shared with everyone at Next Games. We offer the opportunity to work with a diverse bunch of passionate and dedicated people, a competitive salary and benefits package, but first and foremost a big challenge.
Does this sound like you? Send your CV and cover letter along with your salary request through the link below as soon as possible as we’ll proceed once the right person is found.