Senior Game Designer
PUBLISHED: May 4, 2017
Welcome to Rovio!
We are looking for an experienced and passionate Senior Game Designer to join our successful Match Studio in Espoo, Finland.
Rovio’s Match Studio is the established and passionate team behind the successful Angry Birds Pop, Fruit Nibblers and recently launched and soaring Angry Birds Blast. Our vision is to create games where time to fun is measured in seconds, but that will turn into years long hobbies with immersive meta games and social elements. In the studio we’re looking for the most talented and ambitious yet humble game development professionals on the planet to build the next big thing. We are a team first organization where you’ll find openness, candid feedback and a shared ambition to succeed to be at the very core of our DNA as a studio. True to the Nordic culture we pride ourselves in real life/work balance and strongly support personal growth and hunger for learning.
This is a senior role at the studio, and while we are more than happy to help diverse candidates make the step up, you will need some mixture of experience, aptitude and passion in four key areas.
You have vision. We need someone who is able to concisely form and articulate game concepts with balanced persistence and analyze and ideated mechanics with equal and opposite force; you are fluent in number of casual social game systems and mechanics but have critical thinking to know when to improvise and come up with something new. Help us define what our audience wants, what creates true emotional connection to the games we make, to make our players to think about the game even when they are not playing it.
You are intellectually curious. You absorb new knowledge every day while relishing new challenges for their learning opportunities. You constantly form models and perspectives around all things, and are eager to test them on example cases. You share our passion to take the casual social gaming to next level beyond sending gifts to your FB friends and seeing them on a saga map, and for that you want to understand human psychology and social dynamics to really tick players intrinsic social motivations and needs.
You are to the point. Your verbal and written communications are crisp and clear; your best work comes from a place of collaboration and teamwork and you know that quality results come from sharing your work and perspective with others effectively throughout the design process. We expect you to have strong opinions, but always to engage in a reasonable discussion about them; you tend to forever update your conclusions to better and better models.
You continuously improve yourself and people around you. When you speak, you speak persuasively, and people want to listen; you frequently help co-workers focus on the right things, mentor others in design, and push products in order to avoid mistakes and find opportunities. We want someone who wants to develop and grow as a big part of a great, diverse team and help create a fantastic culture that makes amazing mobile F2P games.
You’ll fit in our flock if you want to:
- Create a shared vision with a great team
- Achieve both creative and commercial success in mobile F2P
- Create and lead the execution of game concepts that meet the technical, creative and commercial aims of the team
- Continuously learn and keep improving
You’ll need these skills:
- Previous commercial success with mobile F2P games
- Experience in creating and leading game concepts
- Strong social game design as well as system design skills
- Skills and passion to lead, but also understand when to play back-line and follow, willingness to have an open mind and adapt and iterate designs
- A genuine interest in F2P and mobile games, as well as the wider world of gaming
- Proven ability to seek or demonstrate clear decision making
We’d love you to have these feathers in your cap:
- Strong commercial experience working on games for mobile platforms
- Experience working on games in Unity
- A breadth and depth of aesthetic and entertainment interests outside of games
- Equal parts ambitious and humble
- Open to feedback and eager to learn and apply new skills
- Strong interest and belief in data-driven approach to support & validate intuition
We want the best team, not necessarily the best individuals, so we’re looking for team members who want to work on problems worth solving. If you’re wondering if you should apply or not, we hope you do.
Send your application over now – we look forward to hearing from you!