Motion capture and studio technician
PUBLISHED: July 18, 2017
AALTO UNIVERSITY'S MEDIA LAB, Espoo, Finland
Aalto University’s Aalto Studios is the media centre of the future. Its unique state-of the-art digital media facilities weave together the players of the creative economy: designers, filmmakers, game developers, architects, youtubers, artists, engineers, programmers, educators & researchers, angel investors and public-sector operators in Finland, Scandinavia, Europe and beyond. Aalto Studios facilitates education, research, artistic activities and product development in film and TV, games and animation, VR/AR, product- and user experience testing, sensor data-analysis, web- and social media, digitalization of teaching and fast prototyping. Aalto Studios also organizes influential seminars and events in the field and additionally operates as an AV-production service for Aalto University and its key campus partners.
The new Media Centre will be constructed on Otaniemi Campus by 2020, before that Aalto Studios operates at temporary facilities in the metropolitan area in Otaniemi, Kallio and Roihuvuori.
We are looking for a multi-faceted Motion Capture and Studio Technician, who can excel in multiple roles and tasks as our productions range from motion capture productions (games, animation, engineering, research) to virtual scenography, VR/AR productions, traditional films and multi-camera shows. The person needs to be interested in learning new things constantly and to have a passion to push the development of the field constantly forward. The role is a technical role, but as there is a lot of teamwork and education involved interpersonal and presentation skills are a must.
Motion capture and studio technician key tasks:
- Technical training and consulting for faculty, students and commercial clients
- Teaching and research assistance
- Technical system planning, system rigging and setup and system development
- Data cleaning
- 3D-animation integration with mocap
- Technical video-/audio- and other studios duties
- Technical production workflow planning from pre-production to post-production
- Degree in IT or Media Technology (university or university of applied sciences/polytechnic degree) or equivalent skills and experience in the field
- Experience in Motion Capture productions
- 3D-animation/modelling experience
- Production experience in TV-, film-, or gaming industries
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good IT-skills, including IT- systems and networks setup, integration and configuration experience
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English
- Passion for media
Nice to have
- Experience in VR/AR productions
- Experience in Photo/Videogrammetry
- Programming skills (Especially Unity & Unreal)
- Video, audio and lighting skills
- Proficiency in Finnish both spoken and written
What we offer
- World class university environment, where both personal and technological development are highly encouraged
- Opportunity to work with passionate professionals who deeply care about their work and their team members
- High variety of productions, you will not be bored doing same things over and over again
- Good industry contacts to Finnish gaming, film and TV-industries
Salary and benefits
Salary is internationally competitive with other universities and Aalto University provides health care and retirement benefits.
Helsinki area is a culturally vibrant, naturally urban and safe place to live. The level of education in Finland is top-notch and in addition to free schools, there are many other state-subsidized services, including affordable day care and high-class sports facilities in almost every neighbourhood. Helsinki has excellent connections to the rest of Europe.
Additional information and how to apply
For more information and instructions on how to apply, please have a look at www.aalto.fi/jobs. The deadline for the applications is 14 August 2017.