Lead Artist PAPUKAYA / Helsinki
PUBLISHED: January 25, 2021
We are looking for a Lead Artist to complete the core of our very first game team. You will be our first artist, at the forefront of our first game, driving its artistic vision as well as producing high-quality assets. You’ll also have a big impact on our small independent team, hiring and on our unique company culture that values fresh and bold ideas that can be appealing to a very wide audience, including non-gamers.
We expect you to be a generalist with broad interest and knowledge in different areas of art and ability to produce high quality content in 2D or 3D on your own. You’ll also help us expand our art production by hiring and mentoring talent, as well as outsourcing.
You should possess a mobile-first attitude with strong art direction, communication skills and ability to inspire others to achieve excellence. In addition, you are self-motivated, collaborative and an avid learner. You must enjoy working in small, independent, multidisciplinary and diverse teams. You are a supportive team player that looks for the company’s success rather than simply furthering your own personal goals.
Sensibility for the audiences and games we are going for + experience in creating art for casual mobile games are a big plus!
- Be the key art driver in our first game team, responsible for the visual direction of the game as well as producing high quality assets on your own (in 2D or 3D).
- Build and manage an outsourcing pipeline.
- Help in recruiting the future art talent for the company.
- Help the team and final product succeed, even outside of art duties.
What we wish to see from you
- Experience in defining the visual style of a new game, as well as producing high quality art in launched titles.
- You are a hands on generalist with broad knowledge in different areas of game art (2D/3D/UI/visual development).
- You have excellent communication skills and can inspire others to excellence.
- You are collaborative and enjoy working in small, independent and diverse teams.
- You actively seek feedback from your teammates and assist them in their work.
- You have a startup mindset: ambitious, self-motivated, quick learner and a problem-solver.
- You have a genuine interest in creating different types of games that can be appealing to a very wide audience, including non-gamers.
What we wish to see from you
- Experience working with outsourcing companies.
- Experience in creating art for casual mobile games.
- Experience with UX design.
- Interest in game design.
Benefits from working with us
- Competitive salary, opportunity to become a shareholder.
- Help shape a new startup with long-term secured funding.
- Make your mark on our games and players’ lives.
- Work alongside a small empowered team that is ambitious, creative and fast-moving, in a supportive, collaborative and fun environment.
- Interesting challenges with great room for learning and growth, no matter how experienced you are.
- Relocation support to Helsinki.
Who we are
Papukaya is a new Finnish mobile games startup, backed by Supercell, that focuses on the growing and yet underserved audiences of players who don’t consider themselves gamers. We do so by striving to create novel and long-lasting game experiences that anyone, regardless of their gaming background, can enjoy!
We want to build game experiences that feel more like a place, a hobby or a companion that makes players smile and are comfortable to come back to. We may even blur the line of what games can be by seeking inspiration from all around us: tv, dating apps, social media, hobbies or anything that people spend a lot of time with.
- We value and nurture diverse talent and fresh perspectives.
- We think player-first and are curious about what makes people tick.
- We optimize our development cycles for fast learning.
- We believe in things that don’t yet exist and are bold enough to try them.
We are 3 founders with long experience in the games industry – from companies like Supercell, Rovio and Seriously – but who are also really curious, open-minded and ready to dive into more unknown territory. We are looking for people passionate about tackling the same challenges as us!
Sending your CV/Portfolio along with a short intro to the contact below and we’ll get back to you asap:
Even if you don’t fulfill 100% of the requirements, but still feel you are up to the task – We do encourage you to apply! We will accept applications until we’ve found the perfect match.