Senior Level Designer HOUSEMARQUE / Helsinki, Finland
PUBLISHED: February 18, 2022
Housemarque is looking for a Senior Level Designer for our next big game!
As the Senior of the talented and passionate level design team behind RETURNAL you will work closely with the Lead Level Designer and our Level Design team to help drive the next evolution of Housemarque games. You are passionate about games and the craft of Level Design and Combat Design. You take initiative and find creative solutions to complex problems. You are creative, team-spirited and result oriented. You bring great insight and craft superb layouts that serve combat, navigation and interesting gameplay.
Senior Level Designer’s responsibilities include:
- Design 3D layouts and work with programming and art to create fun experiences
- Design deep and interesting combat scenarios
- Create exciting experiences using an array of game mechanics
- Plan, execute and refine your levels from high-level concept to low-level scripting
- Be the point of contact facilitating communication between Level Design and other disciplines
- Mentor other level designers to help them grow
- Contribute to all aspects of game design
We expect you to have:
- 5+ years of experience in level design on a shipped or live game
- Level Design experience on a AAA title, specifically combat design and level layout creation experience
- Proficiency with modern game editors such as UE4, CryEngine, Source or equivalent
- Experience in using scripting languages to set up events inside the levels
- Understand the role of pacing, narrative, theme and mechanics in creating compelling gameplay experiences
- Ability to appreciate feedback and act with integrity and respect
- Clear understanding and appreciation of schedules and milestone
- Fluent written and verbal English skills
- Familiarity with Housemarque’s past games and the company design sensibilities
- Proficient in using a 3D modeling package such as Maya
- Mod community experience or other hobby projects
- Architecture background
- Experience working on games with gameplay focused level design
At Housemarque, we believe “Game is King!” because gameplay always comes first.
With technical excellence and compelling narrative, spiced with our trademark neon flair and top-notch audiovisual feedback, we want our players to always feel actively engaged with the worlds we have created for them.
Our latest Award-Winning game Returnal, released on PS5 in 2021, embraces all these qualities. THIS is our DNA!
We value Nordic work-life balance by growing sustainably and ensuring our employees have the time and means to develop personally and professionally during work time.
If you wish to join us for our next journey, apply today!
What we offer to you?
- Competitive salary, benefits, healthcare, Nordic work-life balance
- Tailored immigration and relocation package to help you get settled into Finland
- A warm and welcoming atmosphere at our cozy Helsinki office
- Freedom, flexibility and openness in a collaborative culture
- Brilliant, diverse and empathetic colleagues to work with
- Exciting and ambitious projects executed with the best tools
- Access to Playstation Studios collaboration, games and more!
This is a permanent, full-time position based in Helsinki, Finland.
We will start interviewing promising candidates immediately so please apply as soon as possible.