Lead Level Designer HOUSEMARQUE / Helsinki, Finland
PUBLISHED: January 27, 2022
Housemarque is looking for a Lead Level Designer for our next big game!
As the lead of the talented and passionate level design team behind RETURNAL you will work closely with the Design Director, Lead Game Designer and Game Director to help drive the next evolution of Housemarque games. You are passionate about games and the craft of level design and combat design. You will take initiative and find creative solutions to complex problems. You are creative, team-spirited and result oriented. You strive for being a great lead for our level design team and inspiring them to do better levels and combat.
Lead Level Designer’s responsibilities:
- Lead the design of 3D layouts and work with programming and art to create fun experiences
- Lead combat scenario design
- Create exciting experiences using an array of game mechanics
- Plan, execute and refine your team’s levels from high-level concept to low-level scripting
- Be the point of contact facilitating communication between level design and other disciplines
- Other lead responsibilities, such as 1-on-1’s with team members
- Cross-team collaboration (level art, design, VFX, audio etc.) to combine all elements
- Organize training opportunities and facilitate professional growth for our level design team
We expect you to have:
- 5+ years of experience in the games industry working in a level design capacity
- Senior or Leadership experience in the games industry, shipping at least one AAA title
- Proficiency with modern game editors such as UE4, CryEngine, Source or equivalent
- Understand the role of pacing, narrative, theme and mechanics in creating compelling gameplay experiences
- Clear understanding and appreciation of schedules and milestone
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Passion for level design and willingness to learn new workflows and share knowledge
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Experience in using Unreal Blueprints
- Proficiency in using a 3D modelling package such as Maya
- Mod community experience
- Architecture background
- Experience working on games with action elements
- Passion for Housemarque and PlayStation Studios
At Housemarque, we believe “Game is King!” because gameplay always comes first.
With technical excellence and compelling narrative, spiced with our trademark neon flair and top-notch audiovisual feedback, we want our players to always feel actively engaged with the worlds we have created for them.
Our latest Award-Winning game Returnal, released on PS5 in 2021, embraces all these qualities. THIS is our DNA!
We value Nordic work-life balance by growing sustainably and ensuring our employees have the time and means to develop personally and professionally during work time.
If you wish to join us for our next journey, apply today!
What we offer to you?
- Competitive salary, benefits, healthcare, Nordic work-life balance
- Tailored immigration and relocation package to help you get settled into Finland
- A warm and welcoming atmosphere at our cozy Helsinki office
- Freedom, flexibility and openness in a collaborative culture
- Brilliant, diverse and empathetic colleagues to work with
- Exciting and ambitious projects executed with the best tools
- Access to Playstation Studios collaboration, games and more!
This is a permanent, full-time position based in Helsinki, Finland.
We will start interviewing promising candidates immediately so please apply as soon as possible.