Lead Environment Artist HOUSEMARQUE / Helsinki, Finland
PUBLISHED: April 21, 2023
We are looking for a Lead Environment Artist for our next big game!
As the lead of the talented and passionate Environment/3D Art team behind RETURNAL you will work closely with multiple departments including Art Direction and Concept, Tech Art and Level Art to help drive the next evolution of Housemarque games. It will be your role to ensure technical proficiency across the Environment Art team, facilitate professional growth among its artists, and champion the artistic vision of the project.
What will your day-to-day look like?
- Guide the team to create artistically and technically sound environments and assets
- Review WIP assets for technical execution and practical consistency
- Give clear, effective, collaborative, and timely feedback with Art Director & other Leads
- Organize training opportunities and facilitate professional growth
- Seek to improve and maintain good work methods and development pipelines
- Work in cooperation with external partners and feedback the production process
- Other lead responsibilities, such as 1-on-1’s with team members
- Cross-team collaboration (level art, design, VFX etc)
What will help you to be successful in this role?
- 5+ years of experience as an Environment/Prop Artist in AAA games, with preferably some experience in a lead role
- Understanding multiple workflows of 3D environment creation – hard surface, organics, vegetation, modular architecture and etc
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Strong prioritization and multitasking abilities
- Passion for art and willingness to learn new workflows and share knowledge
- Fluent spoken and written English
We also value
- Experience in a wide variety of DCC tools, e.g. Maya, Zbrush, Houdini, Photoshop, Substance Painter/Designer etc.
- Understanding of modern materials pipelines and workflows
- Experience with modular environments
- Experience with Unreal Engine or a similar proprietary real-time engine with visual scripting
- Experience with JIRA and other project management tools
- Experience with Agile/Scrum development
- Knowledge of other fields like Animation or Shader authoring is a bonus
At Housemarque, we believe “Game is King!” because gameplay always comes first.
With technical excellence and compelling narrative, spiced with our trademark neon flair and top-notch audiovisual feedback, we want our players to always feel actively engaged with the worlds we have created for them.
Our latest Award-Winning game Returnal, released on PS5 in 2021, embraces all these qualities. THIS is our DNA!
We value Nordic work-life balance by growing sustainably and ensuring our employees have the time and means to develop personally and professionally during work time.
We were established in 1995 with strong roots in the Finnish demoscene. In June 2021 we joined the Playstation Studios, after years of partnership.
If you wish to join us for our next journey, apply today!
What we offer to you?
- Competitive salary, benefits, healthcare, Nordic work-life balance
- Tailored immigration and relocation package to help you get settled into Finland
- A warm and welcoming atmosphere at our cozy Helsinki office
- Freedom, flexibility and openness in a collaborative culture
- Brilliant, diverse and empathetic colleagues to work with
- Exciting and ambitious projects executed with the best tools
- Access to Playstation Studios collaboration, games and more!
This is a permanent, full-time position based in Helsinki, Finland.
We will start interviewing promising candidates immediately so please apply as soon as possible.