Writer (contract) HOUSEMARQUE / Helsinki, Finland
PUBLISHED: June 23, 2021
Housemarque is looking for a Writer / Senior Writer who understands story structure, drama and interactive storytelling, and is familiar with the particular challenges and opportunities present when writing for games. The ideal candidate has written professionally on at least one shipped AAA game title, and has a proven ability to craft meaningful stories that resonate with a broad range of players.
Writer’s responsibilities include:
- Collaborate closely with our creative director, narrative director, narrative team, artists and designers to create a rich, compelling narrative for a AAA experience.
- Represent the narrative department to ensure new designs and art assets conform to pre-existing narrative, and generate narrative to support new design and art choices.
- Generate outlines, story treatments, character descriptions, scene breakdowns, scripts, diegetic in-game world text and other support materials to advance the narrative vision.
- Identify narrative problems and brainstorm creative solutions with your peers.
We expect you to have:
- At least one professional writing credit. This may include a released video game, purchased screenplay or published book.
- Ability to adapt style to match the project’s current tone and character voices.
- Ability to write creative characters, dialogue, scenes and world-building.
- Comfortable working with both high-level synopses and low-level details, as required.
- Willing to accept and provide constructive feedback and work through multiple iterations.
- Solid understanding of game design fundamentals and game development practices.
- Excellent communication skills in spoken and written English.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- You have worked on at least one shipped AAA title.
- Professional experience writing creatively for games, TV, film, theatre, comics, novels, or related media.
- An understanding of visual storytelling, camera techniques and mise-en-scène.
Housemarque has a track record of 25+ years of developing top-notch games with focus on tight gameplay, impeccable audiovisual execution, and technical excellence. Our latest game Returnal was released for PS5 on April 30th, 2021.
At Housemarque, Game is King. We develop great games that bring happiness and joy to gamers and our fans. We aspire to be a great workplace where people develop professionally and as a person.
- Exciting and ambitious projects executed with the best tools
- 25+ years of experience in video game development
- Brilliant, diverse and empathetic colleagues to work with
- Freedom, flexibility and openness in a collaborative culture
- A warm and welcoming atmosphere at our cozy Helsinki office (you’d mostly be working from home currently)
- Competitive salary, benefits, healthcare, Nordic work-life balance
- Tailored relocation package to help you get settled into Finland
This is a fixed-term contract until the end of 2021. It can be either a remote freelancer contract (subcontracting agreement) or a fixed-term employment contract based in Finland. We are looking to fill this position quickly so please apply as soon as possible!
Please include at least one writing sample with your application. The writing sample can be game writing, screenplays or short fiction with 3-5 pages, ideally in PDF format. Please provide context for the sample if the piece is not self-contained.