Game Design Director (Puzzle Studio)
PUBLISHED: October 10, 2019
Welcome to Rovio!
We are looking for an experienced and passionate Game Design Director to join our successful Puzzle Studio in Espoo, Finland. Rovio’s Puzzle Studio is the established and passionate team behind the successful games like Angry Birds Dream Blast, Angry Birds Match, Angry Birds Pop and Angry Birds Friends. We are working also on creating new IP to widen our portfolio and reach beyond Angry Birds. We focus on making level-based puzzle games that stand out from the competition. All our games are built to turn into years-long hobbies and have a top notch game play with state-of-the-art level content.
We are a team first organization where you’ll find openness, candid feedback and a shared ambition to succeed to be at the very core of our DNA as a studio. True to the Nordic culture we pride ourselves in real life/work balance and strongly support personal growth and hunger for learning.
This is a leadership role at the studio with possibility to influence whole Rovio Games level, from the suitable candidate we would love to see a mixture of experience, aptitude and passion in the following key areas:
You have a vision. We are on a mission to redefine casual puzzle games. We would love to have a person who is able to drive studio’s design activities and design team’s competences to the direction that combines casual approachability and great content known from puzzle games with novelty and depth. You know both casual and mid-core games’ systems and mechanics by heart and have critical thinking to know when to improvise and come up with something new. You also know when to rely on a proven mechanic. You will help us define what our audience wants, what creates a true emotional connection to the games we make, what makes our players to think about the game even when they are not playing it.
You are intellectually curious. You absorb new knowledge every day, and see new challenges as learning opportunities. You want to understand human psychology and social dynamics to really tick players intrinsic motivations and needs. We expect you to have strong opinions, but always to engage in fruitful discussions about them. You think about games holistically from design and narrative to the business of F2P games.
You want to coach and elevate your team. You will be the team lead for our studio designers ranging from talented juniors to seasoned industry veterans. You get joy out of finding great new people to join us and from bringing out the best in people. You continuously improve yourself and people around you. When you speak, you speak persuasively, and people want to listen; you frequently help co-workers focus on the right things, mentor others in design, and push products in order to avoid mistakes and find opportunities. We want someone who wants to develop and grow as a big part of a great, diverse team and help create a fantastic culture that makes amazing mobile F2P games. You lead people from the front.
You’ll fit in if you want to:
- Find and coach talented designers focusing on making great casual puzzle games
- Help game teams in making excellent casual puzzle games that stand out from the competition
- Achieve both creative and commercial success in mobile F2P
- Lead and develop studio’s design craft, processes and activities from ideation to live-ops
- Continuously learn and keep improving
You’ll need these skills:
- Skills and passion to recruit, coach and manage talented designers
- Core game design as well as system design skills
- Previous commercial success with mobile F2P games
- Experience in creating and leading game concepts
- Passion, methods and skills to drive the high level design strategy from the inception to the details
- Experience both from operating a live game as well as developing a new game
- A genuine interest in F2P and mobile games, as well as the wider world of gaming.
- You follow the trends and play actively games aimed at the target audience playing casual puzzle games
- Proven ability to seek or demonstrate clear decision making
- Be a champion for good communication and facilitate learning and knowledge sharing
- You know how to make our create true emotional connection between games and the players
We’d love if you have some of these:
- Experience leading a team of designers on shipped titles in the game industry
- Commercial experience working on F2P games for mobile platforms
- A breadth and depth of aesthetic and entertainment interests outside of games
- Open to feedback and eager to learn and apply new skills
- Strong interest and belief in data-informed approach to support & validate intuition
- Strong experience in puzzle level content and/or narrative design
What you get when you join us:
- The feeling of a small startup in a financially stable environment.
- Career development: we help you grow and achieve your professional goals.
- 5 week holidays per year
- Competitive salary based on Helsinki cost of living
- Flexible work hours
- Real life/work balance
- Relocation assistance
- Truly international environment: while officially we conduct business in English, you will hear a number of languages in our workplace and can join a variety of activities that we come up with together.
- Competitive benefits: such as choice of current gen smartphone and home internet service paid, choice of laptop, lunch and sport vouchers, breakfast, gaming area, gym, sauna
If you’re wondering if you should apply or not, we hope you do.
Send your application over now – we look forward to hearing from you!