Game Design Director (Match Studio)
PUBLISHED: November 13, 2017
Welcome to Rovio!
We are looking for an experienced and passionate Game Design Director to join our successful Match Studio in Espoo, Finland.
Rovio’s Match Studio is the established and passionate team behind the successful Angry Birds Pop, Angry Birds Blast and newly launched and soaring Angry Birds Match.
Our vision is to reinvent the puzzle category by creating games where time-to-fun is measured in seconds and a deep, immersive meta-game and dynamic social gameplay enable year long hobbies to emerge. We are a team first organization where you’ll find openness, candid feedback and a shared ambition to succeed at the very core of the studio’s DNA. True to the Nordic culture we pride ourselves in real life/work balance and strongly support personal growth and hunger for learning.
We looking for someone who is able to drive the studio’s design activities and the design team’s competences combining the casual approachability of puzzle games with depth and social dynamics of mid-core games.
This is a senior role at the studio with possibility to influence whole Rovio Games level, and while we are more than happy to help diverse candidates make the step up, you will need some mixture of experience, aptitude and passion in these key areas.
You have vision. We are on a mission to redefine casual puzzle games. You are fluent in a number of casual and mid-core social game systems and mechanics and have the critical thinking to know when to improvise when to come up with something new or when to use existing practices. From insights into our audience you are able to craft deep emotional experiences in games so that players think about them even when they are not playing.
You are intellectually curious. You absorb new knowledge every day, and see new challenges as learning opportunities. You share our passion to take the casual social gaming to next level by providing deep gameplay experiences, and for that you want to understand human psychology and social dynamics to really tick players’, intrinsic social motivations and needs. We expect you to have strong opinions, but you should be always willing to engage in a fruitful discussions about them.
You want to coach and elevate your team. You will be the team lead for our studio’s designers ranging from very talented juniors to seasoned industry veterans. You get joy from bringing out the best in people, seeing them grow and become even better. You continuously improve yourself and people around you. When you speak, you speak persuasively, and people want to listen. You frequently help co-workers focus on the right things, mentor others in design, and push products in order to avoid mistakes and find opportunities. We are looking for someone who wants to develop and grow as a big part of a great, diverse team and help create a fantastic culture making amazing mobile F2P games.
You’ll fit in our flock if you want to:
- Create and execute a vision for the studio game design direction, with a goal to redefine casual puzzle games to become deep and social experiences with immersive worlds and enticing characters
- Achieve both creative and commercial success in mobile F2P
- Create and lead the execution of whole studio’s game design activities and people to meet the technical, creative and commercial aims of the teams
- Continuously learn and keep improving
You’ll need these skills:
- Previous commercial success with mobile F2P games
- Vast experience in creating and leading game concepts
- Very strong social game design as well as excellent system design skills
- Passion, methods and skills to drive the high level design strategy from the inception to the nitty gritty details
- A genuine interest in F2P and mobile games, as well as the wider world of gaming
- Proven ability to seek or demonstrate clear decision making
- Skills and passion to lead people
- Be a champion for good communication and facilitate learning and knowledge sharing
We’d love you to have these feathers in your cap:
- 15+ yrs relevant industry experience
- Commercial experience working on F2P games for mobile platforms, preferably both from operating a live game as well as developing a new game
- Experience working on games in Unity
- A breadth and depth of aesthetic and entertainment interests outside of games
- Equal parts ambitious and humble
- Open to feedback and eager to learn and apply new skills
- Strong interest and belief in data-driven approach to support & validate intuition
If you feel you have what it takes to join our ambitious and exciting team, apply now! Interviewing starts as soon as we find interesting candidates.
Looking forward to hearing from you!