Expert Game Designer ROVIO / Helsinki Metropolitan Area
PUBLISHED: April 1, 2021
Rovio’s Puzzle Studio has their sights set on becoming the most successful casual puzzle game studio in the world. Exploring new and emerging trends in puzzle games, the studio has built a deep understanding of the puzzle genre and its players since its founding in 2014. The studio has introduced innovations in puzzle game core with the free-flowing Angry Birds Dream Blast, and the narrative-driven Small Town Murders, as well as providing players with exciting new content and events in fan-favorite games such as Angry Birds Friends. With their games, Puzzle Studio aims to create a true emotional connection that stays with players even when they’re not playing.
We are looking for an experienced and passionate Expert Game Designer to join our successful Puzzle Studio.
Our vision is to innovate on the puzzle category with games that fill players with delight. You will be part of a team that will innovate and invent new experiences in the puzzle genre. You will bring new ideas and depth to our puzzle games with strong narrative elements, fulfilling social-game systems, and mechanics. You will create deep emotional experiences in our games so that players think about them even when they are not playing.
We expect that you share our passion to take puzzle gaming to the next level by providing deeper gameplay experiences, and for that, you want to understand human psychology and social dynamics to really tick players’ intrinsic social motivations and needs.
- Share our vision of innovating/re-inventing puzzle games
- Create and lead the execution of game concepts that achieve both creative and commercial success in mobile F2P
- Continuously learn and keep improving with ambitious and likeminded gaming professionals
- Leading and mentoring designers and other team members
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Preferably 9+ years of commercial experience and proven success working on mobile F2P games. Experience coming both from operating a live game as well as developing a game from scratch is a plus
- Shipped at least one game as the Lead Designer
- Experience in creating strong game concepts and leading their execution
- Strong social game design skills, understanding the dynamics of competition and collaboration.
- Experience in creating and managing highly balanced game systems and economies
- Skills and passion to lead the game vision, willingness to have an open mind and adapt and iterate designs, but also steer and make decisions when needed
- A genuine interest in F2P and mobile games, as well as the wider world of gaming
- Strong interest and belief in a data-driven approach to support & validate intuition
We’d love it if you have some of these:
- Puzzle game experience
- Live game/events experience
- Unity or C# skills
- First meeting: You will meet the Hiring Manager. Before diving deeper into your skills, we want to know who you are, what your experience has been to date and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Rovio.
- Second meeting: You will meet a Game Lead. Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you work in a game team.
- A test will be provided so that we understand better your skills.
- Final meetings: to discuss the test and opportunity for you to meet the designer team and game team. We would like to know how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions, what you can contribute, and where we can help you develop.
Don’t keep us waiting! Send us your application today! If you have a portfolio, please attach it in the application.