Creative Director (Puzzle Studio)
PUBLISHED: November 13, 2017
Welcome to Rovio!
We are looking for an experienced and passionate Creative Director to join our successful Puzzle Studio in Espoo, Finland.
Rovio’s Puzzle Studio is the established and passionate team behind the successful Angry Birds Pop, Angry Birds Blast and newly launched and soaring Angry Birds Match.
Our vision is to reinvent the puzzle category by creating games where time-to-fun is measured in seconds and a deep, immersive meta-game and dynamic social gameplay enable year long hobbies to emerge. We are a team first organization where you’ll find openness, candid feedback and a shared ambition to succeed at the very core of the studio’s DNA. True to the Nordic culture we pride ourselves in real life/work balance and strongly support personal growth and hunger for learning.
This is a senior role in the studio working closely with studio business and creative leadership. While we are more than happy to help diverse candidates make the step up, you will need some mixture of experience, aptitude and passion in these key areas.
You have vision. We are on a mission to redefine casual puzzle games. You are fluent in a number of casual and mid-core social game systems and mechanics and have the critical thinking to know when to improvise when to come up with something new or when to use existing practices. From insights into our audience you are able to craft deep emotional experiences in games so that players think about them even when they are not playing.
You are intellectually curious. You absorb new knowledge every day, and see new challenges as learning opportunities. You share our passion to take the mobile gaming to next level by providing deep gameplay experiences with immersive worlds and enticing characters. For that you will need to understand our audience and its interests as well as the overall gaming industry and entertainment market trends.
You are to the point. Your verbal and written communications are crisp and clear; your best work comes from a place of collaboration and teamwork, and you know that quality results come from sharing your work and perspective with others throughout the creative process. We expect you to have strong opinions, but always willing to engage in fruitful discussions about them. You are able to create and pitch concepts that excite both creative and business people.
You are creatively inspiring. You speak persuasively, and people want to listen; you help co-workers focus on the right things, mentor others in design, and push products and concepts in order to find even greater opportunities. You are an endless source for new ideas and concepts, but you have the ability to bring out the same in other creative team members. We want someone who wants to develop and grow as a big part of a great, diverse team and help create a fantastic culture that makes amazing mobile F2P games.
You’ll fit in our flock if you want to:
- Create and execute a vision for the studio game creative direction, with a goal to redefine casual puzzle games to become deep experiences with immersive worlds and enticing characters
- Achieve both creative and commercial success in mobile F2P
- Create and lead the execution of whole studio’s game concept, world, story and character creation process and activities
- Use the data and insight to boost the creativity
- Continuously learn and keep improving
You’ll need these skills:
- Vast experience in creating and leading concept and IP creation for games, other medias (e.g. animations, tv series) a strong plus
- A genuine interest in F2P and mobile games. You play games. All types of games, not just the ones you enjoy the most. You are able to dissect game world, stories and character and understand what they do to the game.
- Passion, methods and skills to drive the high level creative strategy from the inception to the nitty gritty details
- Proven ability to seek or demonstrate clear decision making
- Be a champion for good communication, idea pitching, learning and knowledge sharing
We’d love you to have these feathers in your cap:
- 10+ yrs relevant industry experience
- A breadth and depth of aesthetic and entertainment interests outside of games
- Equal parts ambitious and humble
- Open to feedback and eager to learn and apply new skills
- Strong interest and belief in data-driven approach to support & validate intuition
If you feel you have what it takes to join our ambitious and exciting team, apply now! Interviewing starts as soon as we find interesting candidates.
Looking forward to hearing from you!