Concept Artist (Environment) MAINFRAME INDUSTRIES / Helsinki / Reykjavik / Paris
PUBLISHED: January 21, 2022
Do you want to take part in creating the game of a lifetime?
At Mainframe we are building a living world that people will call their home for years and hopefully decades. This world resides in the cloud and will, through the years of its operations, become the setting for adventure, fun, action and complex social drama that could involve millions of people 24/7 around the world.
Your Mission and Responsibilities:
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to help our World Team develop an exciting and fresh game setting. Our game world is grounded in stylized realism and history, but with your help, it can be so much more.
- You will have the opportunity to impact the visual and overall feel working closely with our compact, collaborative and super-experienced team.
- You bring together various design and art disciplines concepting cool locations, enemy factions and landmark places of the game world.
- You have a keen eye for establishing style and mood. Thanks to your artwork, we can take the in-game environments above the mundane.
- You’re analytical. Not only can you create great art, you can also explain why it works or it doesn’t.
- You are great at brainstorming, also doing quick-and-dirty sketches, working well in a team and thinking how the game can be more successful.
Your role is based preferably in Finland, Iceland or France, where we have our offices. We are open to discussing remote work, but we prefer to stay in the time zones between Helsinki and Reykjavik. We believe in good work-life balance and working where you are most productive.
In the next 6-12 months you will:
- Create concept art pieces for environments that are grounded in reality, but will have an element of subjective experience.
- Create concept art for cool, historically inspired locations.
- Work on paintovers and sketches to show how we can improve some of the existing art in the game.
Some success indicators for your role:
- You have a proven record of working in the games industry and ability to create original and stylish artwork, paint, sketch and iterate.
- You are an efficient visual communicator, using a variety of tools to bring your vision across. You are creative, original and able to think outside the box.
- You have a solid understanding of architecture, nature and how things work.
- Ideally, you have experience with Unreal and can also block out the environment designs when needed.
- Any experience with 3D prototyping and some hands-on experience working as an Environment Artist in the games industry is a big plus.
We have a human-friendly, equal-opportunity workplace that values collaboration, independence, and empathy.
We have our offices in Helsinki, Reykjavik and Paris. All our offices are centrally located and we offer you top of the line work conditions wherever you work.
We are a well funded pan-Nordic start-up founded in 2019. We are working on a project we love. Joining us now is an opportunity to make an impact on the game we develop and the company culture very early on.