Critical Force is the creator of the successful mobile FPS title Critical Ops and one of the leading mobile shooter game developers in the world. Our team is a mix of industry veterans and emerging talent with a common mission to bring unique shooter games to mobile platforms. We have worked hard to foster a team spirit that’s honest, trusting, and player-centric with a true emphasis on continuous learning.
Now, we are calling for you, Backend Programmer, to join the ranks of our new team currently prototyping new shooter experiences. It’s your chance to bring shooter experiences to the next level and onto new platforms.
If you have a passion for games and you are a self-driven person looking to work in a team of dedicated professionals, we welcome you to join us!
You would be part of a new team, filled with passionate and creative veteran developers. Together with programmers, you would be working on the backend solutions and other programmer tasks on a team of dedicated veterans. A great learning experience or a chance to work with experienced peers in a relaxed but professional atmosphere.
- Create, maintain and oversee the backend solutions for the game
- Implement databases and write code for handling large amounts of data including features like login, player progression, purchases, social features, etc
- Build data entry tools for designers to iterate on parts of the system such as the store
- Cooperate and communicate with the DevOps team
- Help maintain development tools (Build pipeline, Repositories, etc.)
- Help with any and all other programmer tasks
- Experience in game development in a similar role
- Strong understanding of database design and query optimizations using both relational databases, such as MySql, and key-value stores, such as Redis
- Professional experience using any or all: C++, C#, Java, Python, Go, PHP, JSON, Ruby, HTML
- Strong knowledge of microservice architecture
- Prior experience in Backend Programming
- Great communication skills
- Readiness to perform a test of your skills in the relevant expertise if deemed necessary
Ideal candidate will also have
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 & 5
- Experience of deploying or maintaining a live service
- Previous experience with Unreal Engine backend services
- Specialist skills that can be applied to other areas of development
- Passion for Shooter games
- Proactive and self-driven mindset with the focus on creating a great game
Critical Force is a Finnish game company with offices in both Kajaani and Helsinki. We are focusing on shooter games for mobile. We strive to create games that are fun to play on both casual and competitive levels. Our flagship game is the first-person shooter Critical Ops, which has been downloaded over 100 million times worldwide and has become a trailblazer in electronic sports played on mobile devices. We all share a passion for our creations, from interns to senior developers. We pride ourselves on our friendly and focused team atmosphere.
We provide the opportunity to work remotely or from either of our offices – in Kajaani, experiencing an international feeling with a small-town vibe next to nature – or in Helsinki – in the heart of a bustling games capital. For remote work, terms may apply depending on the location.
- Opportunity to join an award-winning game studio
- Transparent and caring company culture
- A fast-moving work environment, driven by people with a passion for games
- The option to choose where you work: Helsinki office, Kajaani office or remote
- Opportunity for fully-remote work
- Robust benefits, incl. comprehensive health, travel insurance, and dental care
- Flexible working environment and autonomous veteran team