Art Director (Match Studio)
PUBLISHED: June 30, 2017
Welcome to Rovio!
We are looking for a hands on Art Director to join our successful Match Studio in Espoo, Finland.
Rovio’s Match Studio is the established and passionate team behind the successful Angry Birds Pop, Fruit Nibblers and newly launched and soaring Angry Birds Blast. In the studio we’re looking for the most talented and ambitious yet humble game development professionals on the planet to build the next big thing. We’re a flat organization where you’ll find openness, candid feedback and a shared ambition to succeed to be at the very core of our DNA as a studio. True to the Nordic culture we pride ourselves in real life/work balance and strongly support personal growth and hunger for learning.
This is a senior role at the studio, and while we are more than happy to help diverse candidates make the step up, you will need some mixture of experience, aptitude and passion in four key areas.
You’ll need vision. We need someone to help define the artistic vision for our games. You will work with the team of super talented senior artists to help to develop new IPs and also interpretations of the world known Angry Birds brand. Can you help us define what our audience wants, what creates true emotional connection to the games we make, the soul of the game.
You’ll need to ensure consistency and quality. Rovio is well known for making games with genuinely world-class production values. You need to take responsibility for ensuring that our studio is producing work of the absolute highest quality, and making sure the vision is consistent.
You’ll need to make stuff. In our studio everybody is expected to roll their sleeves and get their hands dirty, so you will need to be comfortable creating concept art as well as making usable assets to help us move quickly during different phases of development. But more than anything, we want someone who wants to develop and grow as a big part of a great, diverse team and help create a fantastic culture that makes amazing mobile F2P games.
You want to coach and elevate your team. You will be the team lead for our studio artists ranging from very talented junior artists to seasoned senior artists with years of background in the gaming industry. You get joy out of bringing out the best in people and seeing them grow and become even better.
You’ll fit in our flock if you want to:
- Create a shared vision with a great team
- Achieve both creative and commercial success in mobile F2P
- Help to devise IPs and art styles that meet the technical, creative and commercial aims of the team
- Be a champion for good communication and facilitate learning and knowledge sharing
- Make creating a fantastic game art culture a part of your job
You’ll need these skills:
- Previous experience creating games, you know the latest tools and techniques
- Experience in world building and character design
- Strong artistic ability and a desire to keep improving
- Skills and passion to lead people
- A genuine interest in F2P and mobile games, as well as the wider world of gaming
- Fluent English
We’d love you to have these feathers in your cap:
- 15+ yrs relevant industry experience
- Strong experience working on games for mobile platforms
- Experience working on games in Unity
- A breadth and depth of aesthetic interests outside of games
- Equal parts ambitious and humble
- Open to feedback and eager to learn and apply new skills
- Strong interest in data-driven approach to optimise art for games business performance
- Collaborative and consensus driven approach
- We want the best team, not necessarily the best individuals, so we’re looking for team members who want to work on problems worth solving. If you’re wondering if you should apply or not, we hope you do.
Send your application over now – we look forward to hearing from you!