Art Director (Puzzle Studio)
PUBLISHED: November 13, 2017
Welcome to Rovio!
We are looking for an experienced Art Director to join our successful Puzzle Studio in Espoo, Finland.
Rovio’s Puzzle Studio is the established and passionate team behind the successful Angry Birds Pop, Angry Birds Blast and newly launched and soaring Angry Birds Match. Our vision is to reinvent the puzzle category by creating games where time to fun is measured in seconds, but that will turn into years long hobbies with deep and immersive meta games and dynamic social gameplay. We are a team first organization where you’ll find openness, candid feedback and a shared ambition to succeed to be at the very core of our DNA as a studio. True to the Nordic culture we pride ourselves in real life/work balance and strongly support personal growth and hunger for learning.
This is a senior role in the studio, and while we are more than happy to help diverse candidates make the step up, you will need some mixture of experience, aptitude and passion in these key areas.
You’ll need vision. We need someone to help define the artistic vision for our games. You will work with the team of super talented senior artists to help to develop new IPs and also interpretations of the world known Angry Birds brand. With the help of player and market insight you will define what our audience wants, what creates true emotional connection to the games we make, the soul of the game.
You’ll need to ensure consistency and quality. Rovio is well known for making games with genuinely world-class production values. You need to take responsibility for ensuring that our studio is producing work of the absolute highest quality, and making sure the cross-game art styles are consistent and speak to the same overall vision.
You want to coach and elevate your team. You will be the team lead for our studio artists ranging from very talented junior artists to seasoned senior artists with years of background in the gaming industry. You get joy out of bringing out the best in people and seeing them grow and become even better.
You’ll fit in our flock if you want to:
- Create and execute a vision for the studio art direction
- Achieve both creative and commercial success in mobile F2P
- Get your hands dirty by e.g. creating concept art and visual targets
- Help to devise IPs and art styles that meet the technical, creative and commercial aims of the team
- Be a champion for good communication and facilitate learning and knowledge sharing
- Make creating a fantastic game art culture a part of your job
You’ll need these skills:
- Previous experience creating games, you know the latest tools and techniques
- Experience in story & world building as well as character design
- Strong artistic ability and a desire to keep improving, impressive portfolio
- Skills and passion to lead people
- A genuine interest in F2P and mobile games, as well as the wider world of gaming
- Fluent English and great communication skills
We’d love you to have these feathers in your cap:
- 15+ yrs relevant industry experience
- Strong experience working on games for mobile platforms
- Experience working on games in Unity
- A breadth and depth of aesthetic interests outside of games
- Open to feedback and eager to learn and apply new skills
- Strong interest in data-driven approach to optimise art for games business performance
- Collaborative and consensus driven approach
We want the best team, not necessarily the best individuals, so we’re looking for team members who want to work on problems worth solving. If you’re wondering if you should apply or not, we hope you do.
Send your application over now – we look forward to hearing from you!