PUBLISHED: May 11, 2020
DAZZLE ROCKS, Helsinki, Finland
We are looking for an Art Director who can drive the development of concept art, game & IP art style, and work closely with our artists and development team to realize the vision of the game. A person who can not only direct and comment on art but also execute and produce 3D assets and concepts with the whole art team.
This newly created role will be responsible for a breakthrough artistic vision of our upcoming MMO game, made for millions of people around the globe. It also includes day-to-day art direction and content creation for the game. We have our own IP, expanding 3D world with characters, buildable elements, and living, procedural world environment. We value traditional art skills upgraded to modern-day design thinking and understanding the player experience and graphics as a whole.
This role will also work with our outsourcing and other external partners and will contribute to Dazzle Rocks’ success by helping to grow the IP to a global game brand.
In addition to the skills and experience listed below, we are looking for a motivated artist who inspires, who can thrive in a fast-moving and growing start-up environment, lead and mentor the artists, grow internal talent and also be great team collaborator. If that’s you, let’s connect!
- Work on the key art assets, concepts, and 3D assets
- Create an aesthetic vision that fits with the overall game concept of sandbox MMO world-building
- Create well researched, original creative concepts
- Direct the work and milestone goals of artists to achieve the set visual target and technical performance
- Provide quality benchmarks and notes for art assets for internal team and external outsourcing partners
- Establish best practices and improve art pipelines in collaboration with technical artists and developers
- Act as a role model for artists by constant improvement, emphasizing best practices, leading by example and supporting team growth
- Provide feedback and act as a stakeholder towards external partners
- Typically 5+ years of games industry experience.
- Must have art direction and/or art lead experience on at least one published global mobile title and participated in the full development cycle.
- You have a understanding of foundation art principles including drawing, 2D/3D shape language, color theory, anatomy, lighting, etc. (Portfolio required)
- Able to work well under pressure and with deadlines
- Modesty and respect when receiving and giving feedback
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and other 2D packages
- Strong knowledge of 3D software (Maya, Blender, 3D Max or similar)
- Understanding of mobile games, latest art styles & techniques, production methods, and art pipelines.
- Solid organization skills with a bias towards action and problem-solving.
- Active attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the team.
- A great motivator who can also demonstrate high-performance artistic output
- Passion for making and playing mobile games and awareness of current titles and industry trends.
- A people manager who understands which mix of team is needed to excel and drive great art.
- Experience with outsourced content and proven ability to work with outsourcing and external development teams.
- Ability to work in Dazzle Rocks style (see the banner): mobile first, stylised graphics, isometric view, charming chibi-like characters, simple textured cute animals, bright and saturated colours
- Ability to go beyond expectations and push the limits of mobile graphics
- International network and wide reference library of IPs
- Passion towards storytelling, virtual worlds, and world-building
- Being able to grow extraordinary art talent and also hire it internationally
How to apply
Send your application to email@example.com
Include a short cover letter, CV and portfolio (if applicable) to your email. All art roles should have a link to visual portfolio. Technical roles should include a link to Github or other work samples.
Only applications that contain above information will be considered. We look forward to hearing from you!
About Dazzle Rocks
We are building an upcoming social MMO game for the mobile and beyond. We are taking the real-time gameplay, world-building, and shared persistent universe to a new level and will revolutionize the Sandbox MMO genre.
We are a growing international team with experience in building successful mobile games, distributed game server technology, and an ambitious and fun working culture. Our latest game is soon entering public beta and we are now looking for pioneering, start-up minded people to join us!